Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Straight Cash Homie!

Back in 2005, when asked how he planned on paying a $10,000.00 fine that the NFL had dropped on him, Randy Moss responded with the above words. I wish my customers thought more like he did.
At the very moment that I sit here and write this article I have a customer that owes me and it is really irritating. It's not so much the amount as it is the principal. The guy calls me in the middle of the night to ask if I can fix his AC. I told him that I was booked up for the week but would move some things around and make a special trip out the next day. I had his AC fixed and back up and running before 5pm the next day.
Normally for a service call like this I would expect payment at time of service. However, it just so happened that the customer was too sick to come downstairs and pay me. He had left the door unlocked to the house so that I could come in and test the system without him having to come down and meet me. When I completed the job I left the invoice on the table.
I called the customer later and he asked if I took credit cards. OF COURSE I DO! I even sent him an email and a text message with instructions on how to go online and pay the invoice by credit card. Needless to say it's been over a week and I haven't heard from the guy. It was such an emergency for his AC to get fixed but it isn't much of an emergency for him to pay me.
Like I said, it's not about the money, the total invoice is less than $200. But it's about the principal. The principal is "if all of my customers act like this then it will be about the money because I won't have any."
From now on I think I might adopt the Randy Moss. My new business slogan is "Straight Cash Homie" pay me cash!

By OM Property Services

No comments: